Wednesday 13 May 2009

Amazonia Expeditions... wows me again


Today I once again head out on a boat ride with Gerlo and Marsiel.  We head well up river, and once again Gerlo puts his machete to work, hacking his way through blocks of vegetation, almost falling in a couple of times - hillarious.

Boat FULL of spiders and many kinds of ants falling off trees as we hack through.  Again.   I entertain Marsiel by trying to scoop the spiders overboard with a large pod of somekind.  Again.

Gerlo is being stung like crazy by the ants. Ouch.

Made it upriver to the "dry season campground"

We hike into the "heart of the jungle" - different than the  terra firma close to the research station, more humas, larger ferns and trees. Harder to find the path.

Armadillo / anteater evidence abounds.

We spot spider monkeys in large troupe. They are curious, one ventures quite close and cocks it head in curiosity.  Very cute.  The larger (and smarter?) ones take off in other direction

Snake sighting...   Six feet long and iridescent green with yellow head,  Marsielle says not poison.  I get almost close enough to touch it before it slitheres away.

Bazillion mosquitoes. centipedes, white "milk" tree frogs, and a huge eagle of the Amazonian kind.

Unbeknownst to me the plan was to cut down a plam tree for me to try fresh "heart of palm", but I when I realise what they are up to I ask them not to "kill a tree" for me.  Environmentalist gene or something.

My first mosquito bite is itching me.  Acquired last night on my foot, little bugger must have gotten me as I was putting on my jammies. 

Sometime in the conversation it is decided Gerlo and I will switch shirts tomorrow... he wants the blue shirt now.  Such a boy.

We return after our tramp, flying upriver with a lovely warm breeze.  I spot masses of what looks like red clematis, weird fruit, flowers and berries galore.  I am assured it is monkey food, not edible for humans.

The afternoon tarkget is Pink Dolphin lake.  On my afternoon wish list is another sloth sighting.   We motor it's length, putting here and there along the trees ringing it.  I get pink dolphins, spider monkeys, turquose birds, neon red / black birds, indigo birds and aonother large hawlk sighting

And my sloth.  So entertaining as it hangs by one long, furry arm while it  scratches away with the other.  Belly, bum, legs, ears... It lifts it's head when Gerlo does his imitation sloth call, then just return to his scratching.

Perfect

Despite having doubled up the seat cushions I still come away from the day with a sore bum.

Dinner with Gerlo makes for interesting conversation, and on my wander about before retiring  to my room for the night  I discover the presence of a large green tree frog just waiting for his photo shoot.  

Cold shower, clean teeth and a scramble into jammies an the protection of my screened in bed.

High 5 to Gerlo, Marsielle and Amazonia Expedfor once again helping me have an excellent day... definitely one for the memory box.  Indiana Jones probably never had so much fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment