Wednesday 6 April 2011

Great start to the week

There are some pretty impressive ruins on the mountainside above the Hostal. They are not part of the "official" Ollytentambo ruins and so can be climbed and investigated at leisure. (If you call scrambling up a mountainside leisurely)

After dropping my things in my room I followed my hosts' advice and walked down the alley until just passed the ceramic shop, turned left and went up the stone stairs... and just started climbing. Easy path to the first ruin, not so easy path to the next, and then pretty much off the path and upward from there. When the time came to look down and over, well didn't I just about swoon at how high I was. Way above the ruins accross the valley and well away from the original target. Took pictures, decided enough was enough for the day (sun was getting close to setting) and carefully picked my way down the shale covered incline.

Was treated to the sight of a curious and busy hummingbird, this one iridescent blue. Tried the photo thing... you all know how successful I am with it.

A walk down to purchase rail tickets for the train to Aguas Calientes, a town at the base of Machu Picchu Mountain. There was room for Monday which fit the schedule perfectly.

Excellent start to the week.

Dinner was pizza (how Peruvian), and after a full day of travel and hiking I made for an early nights sleep.

Also early was the start to the next days activity, a trip to Chinchero. After an early am breakfast I was introduced to the gent that was to take, wait and return. The trip involved an ascent of almost 1000 meters to this small town which is known for its authentic market, especially on Sundays when the locals descend from the hills in full native dress.

On our way we passed a couple of very swanky resorts in Urubumba (think $250 per night minimum), not someplace that I choose to waste money that can be spent trekking. I also noted the signs for Salinas and Moray, two places to visit on a beautiful day hike. This I did last time I was in the area, but I would like a return visit just to see if the incredible energy I felt was just my imagination at the time.

The market at Chinchero was smaller than I expected, but the ambience did not disappoint. There were rows of stalls selling all manner of local produce surrounded by vendors selling weaving and other tourist related items. Bartering was definitely the name of the game... all done respectfully and with smiles. I am now the proud owner of some hand made dolls, hand painted pottery and multicoloured woven wool blanket/cover. This last item I bought when the woman I had been bartering with followed me to the car and agreed to my price.

Now I will HAVE to decorate the guest room.

The market is not the sole attraction in Chinchero. There is also extensive terracing that surrounds the ruins of what was an Inca town. As per the custom of the day, the ruins were torn down and a catholic church built upon its foundations. I know it was something that was done 500 years ago, but I get aggravated each time I see it. Over and over and over. I took some photos of just how incredibly fit the original stonework is... the precision is amazing.

After wandering the terraces and ruins for an hour or so it was back to the cab and a descent back to town and the hostal. Should have remembered that most things would be closed Sunday, so I had a bit of a challenge finding food supplies for the day at Machu Picchu, which I wanted to do because I remembered how expensive it is once you are there. Water, Gatoraide, Sprite, Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, granola bars and fruit. All set.

Got my little alarm unit set for a 5am start and was asleep by 9. This being over 50 thing means adjustments to what "night life" represents.

I am stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment