Thursday 7 April 2011

Peruvian Paso Horseback Fun

I have been fascinated with Peruvian Paso Horses since I first saw them in Trujillo two years ago. This is a horse that has been bred with a distinctive gait and is known for its smooth ride and amiable nature.

As one who has watched her share of cowboy movies, and even tried riding on occasion, seeing one of these horses being ridden is a rather otherworldly experience. The riders seem to almost float, with none of the up and down motion at play.

I wanted to know what it was like to ride one of these remarkable beasts.

Today I got the chance. Outside of town there is a man who raises these horses and I arranged to go by horseback to a ruin located in the hills outside of town.

Imagine if you can the romance of being met by a wizened old vaquiero (cowboy) and led through cobblestoned streets to awaiting horses. Metal stirrups are replaced by square leather footholds, the saddles intricately tooled and the tack included romal reins.

A quick boost up and I was following the leader through the cobblestoned roads and on the path out of town. We followed the river up the valley quite a ways while my host greeted and conversed with the locals as we passed. Once we cleared the trickle of small homes the road widened, and then the real fun began for me.

My host had until this point kept me at a walk, which was not what I had come for. When the road widened I passed him and encouraged my ride to speed up. My expectation that the gait would be exceptional was played out... wow, it was wonderful, so smooth and effortless. I would pull up and let my party catch up, and then gallop away again. What a blast. I think my smile must have been a mile wide.

Came the point when we left the road, crossed the river and headed up towards the ruins. As we rose above the valley we passed bulls and donkeys grazing at the side of the path, and to my delight we passed lovely, time grazed elderly women and men near their fields, all of whom were greeted respectfully in Quechua.

Throughout it all my mount showed independent spirit while consistently listening to my prompts. This is a prized characteristic of the Peruvian Paso horse, and knowing this it allowed me the confidence to ride more easily and boldly than ever before. What a blast.

Reaching the ruins required some steep riding, and while the ruins were extensive I will admit to not paying much attention to them... the ride down was calling.

Down is definitely harder on the butt. Days later and I am still feeling it.

Retracing our way back to Ollentaytambo allowed me more opportunities to gallop away, although I think this worried my host some. Clop, clop, clop over the cobblestones and through the alleyways and it was good bye to these great creatures.

What a fun fantasy of a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment