Friday 5 March 2010

Back in the hammock, again.

Woke this morning feeling 100%. Energised and pain free. Yay.

Had a good day yesterday (thursday), went to the local museum and managed to understand a fair bit of what the guide was saying. I also attended another one of Mikes` english classes, and it was fun.

Then Mike and I went out for a drink and ended up talking until well past 11... given more time think we could have:

enabled a peaceful world.
ended fundamentalism.
designed & implemented a social enscription program.
figured out a way for "late night sex with sue" to go global.

I love it when a really good conversation gets going! No topic off limits!
What a great young man. Going places. Mark my words.

Today was my return to Tarapoto. I have been worried about landslides on the roads with all the recent rain, so pack up and go I did. Sure enough, the road between Moyabamba and Tarapoto experienced a landslide today and is closed. Luckily it happened at a point where a detour route was possible, and I am now sitting in Tarapoto, sweltering. Ah the tropics.

After breakfast I collected my things and headed down the street, and was treated to good byes, good wishes, handshakes and cheek buses by all the Guides standing outside their agencies looking for customers. These guides all attend the evening class taught by Mike. Friendly, friendly people.

The frustrations of traveling by collectivo today were few and far between, only one station had me waiting, the rest actually called ahead and held cars for me. Beautiful trip, back to and over mountains covered in Jungle vegetation. I made good time, but 7 hours sitting in a car and my backside was begging for relief. It was good to finally get to the Hostal.

Our driver for most of the trip, lets call him Walter the wheeler-dealer, must have thought it was great fun to speed around the hairpin curves and have his back seat passengers thrown upon one another. Didn`t take long for the little boy next to me to start getting car sick. I stilled the queezies with a couple of gravol, which had me nodding off during most of the trip. The many road crews, with their stop signs were a welcome sight. Also welcome was the pretty woman in the front passenger seat, because once she started talking the driver slowed down to answer her questions and chat.

How did Walter the wheeler-dealer get his name? He stopped numerous times along the route to negotiate purchases on his return, picked up goodies, and gave goodies freely away to the police at the road checks and the toll booth operators along our route. First names with just about everybody. It was very interesting to watch.

Stunning vistas
Driving through a stream crossing the road
Ribbons of small farms along the highway and rivers
Complete change in the feel of the air... highly tropical
Drivers passing as if there is no chance there may be a car coming around a corner
Back to light fluffy clouds

A lady selling coconut juice along the road... I wish you could see her face. Honed, sun darkened native features in a study of concentration and determination, wielding her knife expertly as she hacks at the coconut in her hand. Knife goes under her arm as she inserts the straw and hands it to her customer, then she whirls around, knife in hand, looking for her next victim. Um, I mean customer.

The mountains end quite abruptly at one point, and the road stretched out straight in front of us like a snakes` tongue... get the analogy, windy road, mountain, and then straight. Snake. ??? Well that is what it reminded me of, in my gravol induced stupor.

Past Moyabamba there are more mountains. I note there are lanes painted on the roads now, and wonder why? Absolutely no one pays attention to them. Waste of taxpayer money.

Thanks to Carlos, Janet, Edwardo and Mike for making my stay in Chachapoyas so much fun. And not to worry, Edwardo you are not going to hell, and Carlos you are not getting fat.

You had to be there.

Anyhew, there`s a hammock crying out for me. Must answer the call.

MaƱana.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment