Saturday 13 March 2010

My boots... The End.

Awoke this morning to pouring rain... so of course I went for a walk. Rain poncho, boots & gators as I once again headed "up river". I thought I would try and find the trail to the big falls, that would be the one with the 15 river crossings.

I managed to find the path through the first 4 crossings... then ??? By this time the rain had stopped, and I was still looking to expend some energy so I took off my boots and poncho and headed upriver boulder hopping. About an hour later I made it to this wonderful area of the river perfect for swimming. So I did. And then I carried on, but at some point I felt it was time to turn around. So I did.

Then I got it into my head that I wanted to follow the river all the way to the road. So I did. Well, almost to the road... 3 hours of hopping, wading, swimming, balancing, falling and bouldering had me ending my adventure at the water station, which is close enough to the road to count.

My rules:
1. keep feet on stone (really big icky river ticks in the sand),
2. stay off the riverbanks (especially the jungle vegetation areas... no need to tempt the snakes)
3. make sure there is a reverse option to all choices (waterfalls & boulders)
4. Oh, and try and avoid the creepy spiders all over the stones.

It was a challenge keeping to the rules at certain points. And there was thought spared for leeches and water snakes. At about the 2 1/2 hour mark I came to a very challenging waterfall, enormous boulders, very fast water. I scoured for all the angles and there really was only one sensible option. Return. So with fingers and toes seeking hold I slid my way gingerly down to the "plop point". Breaking badly rule number 3, cause there was no going back after that one.

Feet raw, and boots soaked (see plop above), another swim and small cascade, then my tired old bod said Yay! when the water station came into sight. Boulder hop, balance on tree bridge, cross water station dam. Soggy boots on, my sunburn, soaked clothes and I headed the rest of the way down the road. Six hours total. :)

Stopped in at Millies to pick up my pack, wring out my stuff and took a motocar back to the hostal. And left my boots on the seat when I hopped out.

Linda`s Boots... The Inglorious End.

Unless the motocar guy brings them back, but I am not holding my breath.

River sightings:
pretty fantastic butterflies MANY
frogs of a rainbow of colours MANY
spiders WAY TOO MANY
Birds NOT ENOUGH
people NONE

I am taking my tired feet to bed.


PS. After I got to Millies she said "I forgot to warn you to stay away from the rivers because after a heavy rain there are often flash floods, and each year people drown". :x

No comments:

Post a Comment