Wednesday 18 February 2009

Hot, hot, hot... finally in Trujillo

Ah, the equatorial sunshine!

I slept like a log, and awoke early for my first full day here in Trujillo. I spent the day popping in and out of the hostel for fan and re-hydration breaks, and to reapply sunscreen. This city is dazzling. The buildings in the main downtown square are all painted bright pastel or white colours, and have the moorish look of southern spain.

Which may explain why almost no one here seems to speak any english. Too bad my spanish classes turned out to be such a bust.

Today was a wandering day.  Up and down streets, round and round.  I think I have the lay of the land now, so to speak.

Last night was a search for food night.  Wandered for an hour looking for something more than an ice cream stand.  I was obviously wandering around THE shopping district, with streets choked with cars and pedestrians.  Lots of clothes, electronics, banks, hardware stores etc.

Everything under the sun except food.

Ok, so by this time I the muffin I had eaten at the airport some 8 hours before was ancient history and I was ready to eat my arm.  Just as I gave up and was headed back to the hostel for an energy bar I thankfully came across a diner and had a veggie omelet. Yay!

Had an energy bar for breakfast, and a veggie omelet for lunch.  I am sensing a pattern here, no?  This may not be the place I am going to pack back on some of the many pounds I have lost in the last month.

BTW... I notice that there are no stop signs at any of the intersections.  Winner takes all it seems.

The sun is setting and I am going to stroll the main square again.   Once I find dinner that is, my appetite has returned with a vengeance.


No comments:

Post a Comment