Friday 25 March 2011

Home sweet homes

I love finding cosy, unique, intimate hideaways to stay in when I travel. I have been fortunate over the years to enjoy many such gems.

Here in Lima I am enjoying such a gem, which is listed in Lonely Plant as an “our pick” recommendation. Hostal El Patio in Miraflores oozes ambiance and charm. Right now I am sitting in bed next to a huge window fronting a sunny courtyard filled with tropical plants growing tall up the walls, birdsong and the sound of water from a lovely fountain.

Brings to mind some of the other cuties I have encountered. The first was when I was a travelling 17 year old, following verbal instructions to find a tucked away spot in the old city of Jerusalem. Enter the David Gate, head strait into the market, turn right up the first set of stairs, take a left through the first doorway, follow the cobblestone walkway until you find a half height doorway on your left, etc….

My trip to Quebec with Amy yielded two such gems, one just across from the Fairmont in Old Quebec and one in the gay district of Montreal. Creaky, narrow staircases, open brickwork walls, original wood flooring and very interesting bathrooms.

I recommend seeking out such gems any day over the huge, fancy, swank Superchains out there…

But for today I am content to listen to my fountain and dream in my home sweet home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment