Wednesday 9 March 2011

Parades

The rains have finally come to Chachapoyas. Every afternoon for more than a week there has been a downpour, and several times I have awoken to the sound of heavy rain. I won’t complain, this actually being the rainy season and all, but let’s just say I am very glad I brought my poncho.

I have been frustrated by internet access (or lack thereof) for the past few days. The tax inspector made his rounds and closed down many of the businesses in town for not issuing proper receipts. They will not be able to re-open until they pay their fines. Not usually the kind of thing that would test the average tourist, but one of the stores that was closed was the one from which the Hostal gets its signal. (my grandfather pops into my head from time to time to remind me not to finish a sentence with a whatchamacallit, hence the from & which)

But I digress. So set adrift to ferret out alternate sources of WiFi, and having had it up to well past “here” with dial up slow cafes with their wall to wall computers in tiny cubbyholes, I have been finding staying in touch rather a challenge. A big hooray! for today when I discovered that the signal is back. Well back to the 9-9 and not on Sundays, I suppose.

There are parades through the streets here… they seem to happen a couple of times a week at least. Always accompanied by a brass band, and many times playing the same tune. Like in old New Orleans, funeral parades make there way through the streets, coffins being borne along with the mourners, all to the sad sounds made by the brass band following.

Today there was such a parade however this time it was symbolic, a glass coffin enclosing a statue of a crucified Christ. Topped with a large flower arrangement the procession made its way out of the Cathedral and down the street, led by worshipers carrying lights. I watched this and wondered at the practice of religious beliefs. I thought this the end of the display, however about two hours later the parade returned, having finished its tour of the city I suppose. I later found out that it is Ash Wednesday… hence the display.

Not limited to funerals, I have watched dancing displays, carnival parades, military parades, political parades (it is an election year) and to my delight a group of poncho wearing vaquieros atop Peruvian Paso horses. All but the horses were accompanied by a band. Yesterday, in celebration of the last day of Festival there were a couple of large eucalyptus trees cut and paraded through the streets to the shouts and encouragement of the crowd. Smelled heavenly. They are apparently set up and decorated with gifts donated from local merchants.

The owner of the International Learning School came by and left a card for me at the front desk. I have heard through the grapevine that he just lost a teacher, and no doubt he has heard through the same vine that I am in town teaching.

I will pay a courtesy call tomorrow, but as I am still busy with my classes for the next few days and then headed back to my hammock next week, that is all it will be. I know why the teacher left, having bumped into him a few times at the café. He just could not work with a system that passes everyone whether they know the material or not.

My students are not even going to get an exam. Think I’ll invite them to lunch though… we can practice vocabulary and conversation and call it my last class. Will be fun I hope.

Tomorrow I have class, walk, lunch with Jessica (another gringa here in town), siesta, skype, and dinner. I’ll try to fit some writing in to, now that my muse seems to have returned.

My wee houseguest made another appearance last night, scampering across the floor and into his hidey hole. I love houseguests… wait bedbugs, mosquitoes and spiders have been issued no invitations.

Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment