Monday 21 March 2011

sunday notes

And I thought that getting back to the big city would fix my internet woes… HA. The front desk has wireless connectivity, but for some reason none of the guests do. And I am in the mood to write…

It is raining, pouring actually, and I have been having an interesting conversation with a young biologist from Germany who is here doing her doctorate studying tadpole habitats. Really interesting.

It is such a shame that we in Canada (North America, really) don’t insist that our children learn a variety of languages from kindergarten on. We are at such a disadvantage in the world compared to Europeans in this. English, French, German, Dutch. And usually Spanish too. The Dutch and Germans do it best though. In Canada we can’t even ensure that all our children speak both official languages, yet alone one from offshore.

My plans to walk upriver today seem to be a bust, what with the trail turning into mud hazard central and the river running too high to cross. Given my recent stint of non-activity it appears this will be the first time I return from Peru needing to lose a few pounds. Maybe I’ll climb a mountain or two in the next few weeks and see if it helps.
Altitude sickness might do the trick too.

I am right now enjoying the sight of a hummingbird drinking the nectar from the huge pink flowers sprouting forth in the garden. This is a medium sized cutie, with a slightly elongated beak… There is no sun to reflect off its feathers so at the moment he appears black from head to toe. As I enjoy the sight of the tropical blooms all around me, it occurs that back home there will be garden preparation goings on to get ready for spring planting.

And that in turn has me thinking about all of the community work and celebration I will have missed while I am away. For the last couple of years I have arrived home just in time for Creekside to settle into summer, which usually means that things slow down, teams go on hiatus and everyone spends more time on outdoor activities that take them away.

………………………………………………………

Monday now, and still no WiFi. I tried to find and internet café open yesterday, but Sunday things are closed up tight.

Maybe my next hostal will have better access. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment