Tuesday 19 January 2010

Take-offs and Landings

Here I sit in Lima, sweltering actually, and reflect on the fun of travel. Air travel to be specific.

Since last Tuesday I have snoozed my way through 5 plane rides. Quite a selection too, from small to Jumbo. Common link? I was relaxed throughout.

Now those of you who haven´t known me for long will shrug and think "whats the big deal?" So let me tell you a wee bit about my flying history. The first flight I remember I was 12 or so, one of the unacompanied minor type deals. Now, you have to know that I was a "severely attached" kid. This business of flying sans mom made quite an impression.

So for the next, oh, twenty years or so I would happily drug myself in order to get on a plane. I refused to let the fear have the upper hand and keep me earthbound, but it was close pretty much every time.

And then one day, somewhere over the Swiss Alps my plane hit an "air pocket".  What a silly name for such a terrifying experience.  The plane dropped like a stone.  Stomach heaving, people screaming straight down.  Not nosedive, just think of the amusement park rides where people are dropped straight down on seats. Only, guess what?  There was no "safety stop" promised.   Then, just as suddenly the plane caught whatever air current it needed and we started to climb, and the captains' voice comes over the speakers and says "well that was a bit unexpected, but don´t worry, these planes can handle just about anything"!

Fast forward to travels now, and see me snooze through landings, takeoffs and turbulance.  I actually find them soothing.   During my bumpy flight from Vancouver to Toronto yesterday I heard myself repeating the captains words to a frightened passenger, and I realized just how far behind I have left the paralyzing fear of yesteryear.

Yay me!

Anyhoo, 12 hours of flight time plus check-ins, layovers, customs and hotel transfers equals a VERY long day.  Put that on top of the events prior to me leaving, visits in Kelowna and Whiterock and I am at an energy low.  Experiencing some "sideways" medication side effects, and have decided to stay over an extra day here in Lima to catch up.

Lima.  Busy, frantic main streets, quaint side streets, evidence of wealth, dirty air, heavy humidity, and a very nice vegetarian restaurant not too far from the hotel.  Which is nice, has hot water, beautiful wood floors and nice sitting areas.  I´ll give it an "ok" rating for clean.  That translates in to good enough to shower and actually sleep in the bed.

So now that I have let y'all know I am still alive I am going to head back to that bed and sleep. Tomorrow I will explore.


No comments:

Post a Comment