Saturday 23 January 2010

Tarapoto here I come

I knew this morning languishing in bed that I had to give myself a good, quick kick in the ass and get on transport out of this city.

So I laid out all my gear on the bed, separated tropics vs. alpine trekking and looking at them I chose tropics.  Coin toss confirmed it.  This had me packing up my alpine gear and clothes and schlepping them to the baggage holding centre at the South American Explorers Club for drop off.  Then I headed to Star Peru and (before I could talk myself out of it) booked a flight to Tarapoto, which is essentially a town that sits in the area between the Amazon Basin and the tropical side of the andes mountains. This despite reading up on the area and acknowledging that what I would like to do is most likely impossible given my 3 or so word spanish vocabulary.

Never let it be said that I always play it safe. 

I gave directions to a lost gringa today.  What a hoot, considering how turned around I get myself.  Really, it is a good thing I have a compass so I will know which way west is when I head over the mountains.

Went to the main park in Miraflores today and wandered around looking at all the crafty goods people are selling in little stands. There were also some colourful paintings (some good, some awful, IMHO) and several tourist police officers scooting around on those two wheeled wonder thingys... starts with an S and was supposed to be the biggest thing since sliced bread, but obviously isn´t because this is the first I have seen since the big launch years ago. Segway? Someone put my out of my misery here and let me know what they are called.  Or I will remember at 3am.  Whatever.

I digress.

I then went for an afternoon city tour, just in case I wasn't turned around enough in my two little suburbs.  I joined a crowd of folks sitting atop a double decker sightseeing tram and went cruising the noisy, busy streets of downtown Lima.  Took requisite photos.  Also took photos of different kinds of trees gasping an existence through the concrete sidewalks on the main streets.  Don´t know why, the photos I mean, seemed an interesting idea at the time.

Sat behind blonde bombshell and got to watch all the attention she got. Yes that is jealousy talking.  Although I did seem to catch the eye of a couple of cute kids and we waved.  Kids and dogs, but that is a whole different discussion in itself.

Anyhow, the highlights of Historical Lima:  Narrow streets, shuttered balconies, pretty ironwork, colonial stonework, quaint plazas of green, stray dogs (which amazed me, I figured anything with four legs would be flattened in no time by the out of control drivers here) and lots of electrical lines. (line of sight etc.)

Interesting factoids...

Lima has a population of 9.5 million (crowded)

It also has the oldest university of the Americas: The National University of San Marcos, which according to wikipedia was originally named as "Royal and Pontifical University of the City of the Kings of Lima" and was founded on May 12 1551. (that´s copywrite infringement and/or plagiarism I think, BYW) I await the law suit.

By far one of the most ghoulish things I have seen was the catacombs at San Francisco monastery.  Piles of bones, some artfully arranged with skulls in circular patterns.
The church that sits above the catacombs was open, and was lovely. Lots of gold and silver work, and intricate wood carvings, frescoes and figures. The inner courtyard of the monastery was covered in hand painted tiles that were beautiful, and in quite remarkable shape considering their age and exposure.

The main square outside the church was busy, lots of kids chasing pigeons, bird poop and of course locals wearing cultural / native dress wandering around looking for cash for photo ops.

Hailed a cab back all by myself.  Face your fear and all that.

Went to the supermarket to pick up sticky buns for dinner.

Now I must go to the hostal and pack because tomorrow Tarapoto here I come!

PS to Amy ... Found the motherload! a whole network of little alleyways with stores all dedicated to shoes! Fantastic shoes, beautiful shoes, high heeled wonders. You would so love to join me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment