Wednesday 27 January 2010

Wow, what a ride.

Today I got to do some good hiking. We went to a small by Combi (taxi waits until it is full, and then off we go) to get to the trailhead for the Huacamailla Waterfalls. The trail winds past a series of small farms before coming to the first of 3 river crossings. Wadings. Get wetting. Yay.

As the trail continues the flora changes to more of what I would expect for tropical rain forest. Green, green, green. Fresh, fresh, fresh. Up we went following the river, skirting the water then heading inland, then back to the river. The temperature of the water was getting colder as we got closer to the falls. It took nearly 2 hours to reach the falls, about 30 minutes to eat lunch (cakes and fruit purchased in the market), then another couple of hours for the return trip. I got back to the dusty little town a very happer camper, so to speak.

Waiting in the main plaza for the return combi was what it was, but the kicker was the combi ride back to Tarapoto. 10 people crammed into a small station wagon. No choice, as we were told it was the last transport back for the day. Visions of mass auto collision fatalities ran rampant through my head as I meekly aquiessed.

Squish.

Now I have not yet described the ride between Tarapoto and San Martin. Mostly paved roads for the first few kilometers, then a quick turn off the road and we have gone back a few centuries. A rough, pitted road, the worst I have encountered yet.. there is no comparison to anything at home. All this and no 4 wheel drive. What a ride. Especially sardine style.

Ezra and I took turns playing teacher throughout the day, and my poor confused brain managed to spit out a correct word or two. Very frustrating to be articulate in one language but not be able to verbalize what is around me. The ride back was accomplished in silence, and I am sure you can figure out why.

As I write this I am sitting in a small internet cafe situated at what must surely be one of the noisiest intersections in Tarapoto. My brain is going to explode if I don´t get away from the noise.

So Buenos Noches Amigos,

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment