Friday 19 February 2010

Way up there, again.

Ah yes, altitude sickness... The headache, dizziness and nausea. Yay. And I am not even in ¨high¨peru... only at 2500 meters.

I am in Chachapoyas now, finally having booted myself out of the hammock. Took 9 hours by shared taxi, waiting times not included. Once I simply gave in and paid for an extra fare to get going. All in all it was a 12 hour journey. My drivers included Kamakazy Carlos, Suicidal Sandro and others, all who lived up to their assigned names. Excessive Eddy was in full idiotic mode as he sat a man, woman and baby in the front passenger seat for his leg of the journey.

Evidence of the rainy season abounds... with frequent large portions of roadway washed away. A long, windy road complete with overhanging cliffs, and mostly going up up up.

Up into the clouds.

Still, next time I am buying a motorcycle and taking my life into my own hands.

After my first little round of recon this morning, Chachas (as it is known locally) looks a nice enough little town. Traffic doesn´t seem crazy. Checked out some of the hostals this morning to try and find a good fit. Still looking. In the meantime I am staying at a very nice hotel, which is unfortunately cold like a tomb thanks to it´s 3 ft. thick walls. It has a pretty courtyard and might be worth the extra money for the huge room if not for the cold, but it will do until tomorrow.

And I will see how I am feeling tonight before committing to a tour tomorrow.

On my hit list are Kuelep, Gocta Falls and Grand Vilayan.

We´ll see. I have given myself a little more than a week...

Off to rest and stop the spinning.

Later.

PS. forgot about the cold... woolies it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment