Tuesday 2 February 2010

A home is a home

A home is a home... no matter what it`s made of. And that is certainly true here in peru. This afternoon I decided to venture a little further afoot and meandered through some smaller, and evidently, poorer neighborhoods.

I saw homes in various states of going up and falling down. Homes plopped on top of hillsides, and with the front doors butting up against the curb... . Most of these homes are on rutted dirt roads, sidewalks optional. Many appear to be only a couple of rooms big, and they are built almost touching one another. Many had no glass in the windows.

Concrete and mud bricks are the apparent material of choice, although rigid plastic and tin roofing sheets are widely in use as walls. Bamboo is also put to good use. Taking photos would have been rude, although in this case a picture would perhaps give not only information about the dwellings, but would also show the neighbours sitting on their doorsteps playing and eating together. Friendly, friendly people.

Tell a tale, write a book. Maybe I will. I seem to be in the mood to put words to paper these days. Still wish I had brought a netbook with me. I just can´t write as quickly as my brain wants me to. Sigh.

Let`s talk ugly dogs. Really really ugly dogs. Mixes that were never meant to be. Mostly smaller dogs here in the city, some little guy is running around getting lots of action. Think shitsu mixed with weiner dog. Ugly. Maybe I`ll start taking pictures of them too, along with the chickens, leaves and flowers.

Dogs in Peru are street dogs and mostly vary wary of people. If dogs come too close people pick up rocks as if to hurl them. As a dog lover I find this hard to see. I just want to pet them all, ugly or not.

In my explorations today I found a small, clean, family owned vegetarian restaurant. Tummy is now full, topped of with a fresh glass of pineapple juice.

That is all to report today. No great adventures.

Hasta maƱana.

No comments:

Post a Comment