Friday 12 February 2010

Oh, for a fast internet connection...

Today was definitely a pay the piper kind of day... It is enough to say the dirty river water has done it´s job. Also, the various bumps and bruises I obtained on the way to the waterfalls the other day have all come to the surface now, and so I have various black and blue areas too. Add in tired & achey and I was happy for a non-eventful day.


I did manage to buy my shampoo etc., and as you see I was able to get my photos uploaded... now if I just could find a) cat litter or b) grape seed extract I could work on my stinky boots... But unless I hear something different by tomorrow I think it is going to be diluted rubbing alcohol.

I believe I previously mentioned that the motorcycle is very popular here, however it never occurred to me that there may be a climatic downside to said vehicle. However I noticed yesterday one enterprising woman who was renting 2x3 ft. pieces of cardboard, folded lengthwise, for people to put over the seats of said parked vehicles. I suppose it is not much fun hopping back on your bike after it has been baking in the tropical sunshine for an hour or two. Looked to me like she was "working her block". Enterprising, enterprising people.

The February Carnival / Festival started in earnest, with a parade through the centre of town, ending with a street party in front of the Centre for Culture & History, which happens to be next to the hostal where I am staying. Music and speech in volumes I have not heard since I last attended Carribana in Toronto. I watched for a while, but then the need for a siesta became paramount. Yes, I can sleep through almost anything. A very handy skill, actually.

Bobbing heads from the Laguna Azul





And another bloom for Leona









The frustration factor in trying to post photos from an internet cafe here is high. The connections are unbelievably slow... It is now about an hour and a half for this post.

Think I will take a slow evening stroll now that it has cooled down.

Buenos.

No comments:

Post a Comment